Friday, January 13, 2006

my dad, the original foodie


My dad has been a professional chef for over 30 years, and is the reason why I am so interested in food and cooking. At an early age, he taught me to appreciate the art of fine cooking and to appreciate the food, flavors, artful plating and presentation. He never let me forget the importance of presentation, and the way food is plated. It has to look as good as it tastes. When I was young, he introduced me to different types of food, and as a result, now as an adult, I love to experiment and taste new cuisines. I'm so grateful that he taught me to try different foods, otherwise, I can't imagine how many things I'd be missing out on. So many people I know, hate seafood, because of the texture and taste. Some don't even want to try it, even though they never even tasted it.

Cooking to him is an artform, and a love. He rarely cooks at home, because at work he spends endless hours in the kitchen, cooking for other people. But when he does cook at home, it's a culinary feast. He reserves cooking only for special occasions. Holidays, birthdays, reunions, anniversaries. And he doesn't like to share the kitchen on these occasions. He does, however, love to entertain. He loves to tell you stories, demonstrate his cooking techniques, and show his mastery in the kitchen. His expertise is cooking in the cantonese style. Which usually means that he will create 7 or more dishes for a sit down meal. Nothing makes him happier than cooking a feast for his family, that we can sit down to and enjoy.

Here he is proudly showing off his version of roast duck last Christmas. Cook it on a raised rack, he walks says, to let the fatty juices flow out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

You are lucky to have such a Dad ;-P! With him, you are able to learn a lot about cooking...

CVheers,

Rosa

4:09 PM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

Your dad is so cute-- and a chef too? too much to ask for--looks and talent. I bet he loves gardens of all types and art too. You're very lucky! treasure him!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

How wonderful that your father loves to cook. How lucky.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home